Breedte test

I want to employ an Expat, what now?

What are the immigration procedures for working/living in the Netherlands?

I need suitable schooling for my children

I am looking for suitable housing in the Netherlands

Brexit for UK citizens in the Netherlands

As you probably know the United Kingdom will leave the European Union on March 29, 2019. Should the transition agreement between the EU and the UK not be approved by the British Parliament, there will be a so-called ‘no deal Brexit’. The Dutch government has announced transitional rules for UK citizens in case of no deal Brexit on January 7th.

No deal situation

In the case of a no deal, a national transition period applies from 29 March 2019 to 1 July 2020. In the transitional period, a UK citizen will retain his/her rights of residence, work and study in the Netherlands. This also applies for family members of a British citizen, even if they hold a non EU nationality. Before 29 March 2019 the IND will send letters to all UK citizens that are registered in the Netherlands. This letter will be the temporary residence permit. UK citizens do not have to take action themselves. Please read the letter that will be sent.

After the transitional period a new national residence permit will be required. You can obtain a residence permit if you meet the same residence conditions that apply to EU citizens. With this residence permit you also have the right to work and study in the Netherlands. You will receive an invitation letter to apply for this national residence permit before 1 April 2020.

Deal situation

Initially nothing will change for UK citizens, they will continue to have the same rights as now until 31 December 2020. No action will be needed in this period. After 31 December 2020 UK citizens do need a residence document in order to stay in the Netherlands and will be invited by the IND between 29 March 2019 and 31 December 2020 to make an application. UK citizens nor their employers have to take action, the invitation will be sent to all registered UK citizens.

In either situation

Settle Service recommends UK citizens to take the following actions:

  1. to register in the Netherlands before the 29th of March 2019.
  2. if you have stayed in the Netherlands for more than 5 years: to apply for the permanent residence permit between now and the 1st of July 2020. No ‘inburgering’ exam has to be passed.
  3. if you have stayed in the Netherlands less than 5 years on the 1st of July 2020: your employer will have to apply for the highly-skilled migrant residence permit, if you meet the requirements. If you later change the residence permit on the permanent one, the inburgering exam will be required.
  4. ┬áto exchange your UK driver’s licence to the Dutch driver’s licence before the 29th of March 2019. By doing so you will avoid the non EU procedure.

Please contact us if you need advice. We will be happy to evaluate your situation and advise which procedure applies to you the best.