Breedte test

I want to employ an Expat, what now?

What are the immigration procedures for working/living in the Netherlands?

I need suitable schooling for my children

I am looking for suitable housing in the Netherlands

Entry visa for the Netherlands

An entry visa is required for many non EU citizens to be able to enter the Netherlands. The so-called MVV (Machtiging Voorlopig Verblijf) is required to complete the immigration procedure.

New guidelines

The Dutch government has recently published new guidelines with regards to the abolition of the obligation to obtain an entry visa. The following situations that are relevant for Settle Service clients:

  • people, originating from a non EU country, who already have a valid immigration status in another Schengen countryand apply for a highly skilled migrant/scientific research/work as an employee/study/exchange permit through a recognized sponsor in the Netherlands. This is also applicable to possible family members who were already on a valid status in the other Schengen country.
  • non EU citizens who have a valid immigration status in other EU country and who deliver services in the Netherlands as a cross border activity for more than 90 days.
  • privileged non EU citizens, like members of embassy staff and other special international organizations, who want to stay in the Netherlands after the conclusion of their privileged status and meet the requirements for a residence permit.

When an MVV is NOT a requirement

  • You currently hold a (valid) residence permit for the Netherlands.
  • You have the nationality of one of the following countries: Australia, Canada, Japan, Monaco, New Zealand, South Korea, United States of America or Vatican City.
  • You have the nationality of one of the following EU/EEA member states or Switzerland: Austria, Belgium, Bulgaria, Croatia, Cyprus, Czech Republic, Denmark, Estonia, Finland, France, Germany, Greece, Hungary, Ireland, Iceland, Italy, Latvia, Liechtenstein, Lithuania, Luxembourg, Malta, Monaco, Norway, Poland, Portugal, Romania, Slovakia, Slovenia, Spain, Sweden, Switzerland or the United Kingdom.
  • You are a family member of an EU/EEA or Swiss citizen, but you yourself have another nationality.
  • You currently have a permanent residence permit as a ‘long-term resident-EC CE’ issued by another EU member state.
  • You are a ‘holder of a European Blue Card’ for 18 months in another EU Member State and you now apply for a residence permit in the Netherlands as a ‘holder of a European Blue Card’. The same applies to your family members.
  • Your child has been born in the Netherlands and is part of your household. This exemption only applies when your child is <12 years and you, the parent(s), have lawful residence in the Netherlands.
  • There may be extraordinary circumstances that prevent you from applying for an mvv in your own country. In most cases, however, you can only apply for a residence permit if you first have been granted an mvv.

2 Schengen countries are:

Austria, Belgium, Czech Republic, Denmark, Germany, Estonia, Finland, France, Greece, Hungary, Iceland, Italy, Letland, Liechtenstein, Litva, Luxembourg, Malta, the Netherlands, Norway, Poland, Portugal, Slovenia, Slowakia, Spain, Sweden, Switserland.